Sunday, September 14, 2008

Learning My Own Lessons

Summer came and went and I didn't do much with this blog and, honestly, I haven't felt a bit guilty about it until recently. You may have noticed the quote that opens my page, a small insight found in Stephen Dunn's "The Vanishings." It's a poem I love and one I therefore teach. I teach it to my seniors when trying to explain to them why we should write...how in the doing we preserve our legacy for better or worse.

I don't think that I meant to be a hypocrite, but intention does not erase facts does it? Somehow I figured the photos and status updates I post to MySpace or Facebook were sufficient to tell the transformations of my life. My family deserves better than that; I deserve better than that. The power of technology too often becomes the loss of power in one's personal life. I hope to gain power over my memories and those moment that create me by using this blog. So, on with it!


No comments: