Saturday, December 27, 2008

I'm Telling God!

Ah, with three kids there is never a shortage of laughs...

I was a bit lazy getting out of bed Friday, the day after Christmas. The kids were in the room next door and I intermittently opened my eyes to see them playing with their new loot. Inevitably, Daegan and Holt got into it about something...admittedly I was too groggy and interested in sleep to open my eyes when the fuss began. But something Daegan said got my attention and I had to smile and share it here:

Contented laughter and shared play turned awry after Holt took one of Daegan's toys. What I heard went something like this: "Give it back, Holtie! Now!" (repeated several times). Rather than intervene as I usually do, I waited to "hear" (remember, my eyes were still closed) how my two little men would solve their dilemma on their own. Holtie, more the bully of the two, screamed "NO!" and I heard the distinct pop as he hit Daegan. I fully expected Daegan to come crying to me and waited in anticipation of just such a thing when he began to say, "I'm telling...[normally this where I hear "Mom!"] God!" While that was funny enough, it was the fact that he actually started talking to God right then and there that got me giggling out of my slumber. He said, "God! Holtie is being a bad boy. He took my Iron Man, he won't give it back even though I said, 'Holtie, give it back,' and he hit me! I want you to send him to the devil!"

Now, I admire that Daegan understands that good people go to heaven and bad people go to...well, you know...but, we of course had to talk about how it would make Mommy very sad if any of her babies weren't in Heaven one day. I must say, however, that I very proud that Daegan exressed his problems to God! I hope this is a pattern that continues:)

No comments: